Pre-packaged snacks while TTC
During your TTC or IVF journey, loading up on antioxidants is one of the top suggestions you will get from a dietitian. You can read about why and some research surrounding antioxidants and fertility here.
If you are trying to conceive, you are likely already trying to load up on antioxidants. After all, many nutrition-saavy women already know that antioxidant intake may play a role in protecting egg quality (1) and sperm health (2).
What exactly are antioxidants? An antioxidant is a component that is found naturally in many foods, particularly many fruits, vegetables, beans, whole grains, and legumes. Free radicals may attack important molecules in the body (some are related to the egg and sperm), resulting in damage, or oxidative stress. Antioxidants protect cells from the damage caused by these free radicals. Free radicals can come from external sources like smoking or pollutants found in places like the air or water. They may also come about naturally during normal bodily processes like exercise.
So, let me know if this sounds familiar. You start your day motivated to load up on the antioxidants and mix yourself up a super-green smoothie. Your day continues to be “dietitian-approved” with lots of fruits and veggies until that 3 PM slump…you need a snack…you spy the snack machine…you hear that there are cookies in the breakroom….you think you have a bag of M+Ms on the bottom of your purse left over from Halloween last year.
Snacktime can be an awesome opportunity to sneak in some antioxidants, and it doesn’t have to be super-complicated or even associated with tons of prep. There are some great pre-packaged snacks that are naturally loaded with antioxidants and can either be snagged at our beloved Amazon or at the grocery store. .
1. Go Raw organic coconut crisps. When you need a little sweetness with a touch of coconut and crunch, these snacks are a perfect treat. They only contain four ingredients (cacao, dates, sesame seeds, and coconut) and are just as satisfying as a cookie in my book.
2. Peeled fruit snacks. Sometimes you have the best intentions to toss a piece of fruit in your bag before you leave for work and just forgot. Or you need something sweet, chewy, and satisfying instead of a piece of fresh fruit. These peeled fruit snacks are only made from organic fruit with no added sugar. They are just as good for you as a piece of fresh fruit…no refrigeration required.
3. Chloe’s pomegranate frozen fruit pop. We all know that pomegranate is a fertility food favorite, but some people are just not fans of those little seeds! Chloe’s makes a frozen pop made from real pomegranate, water, and a touch of organic cane sugar. These taste divine and are packed with antioxidant goodness.
4. Chocolate Covered Figs. Want the most decadent antioxidant-rich treat ever? Try out some chocolate covered figs. No explanation needed!
5. Lesser Evil Popcorn. DYK that popcorn is a whole grain, and whole grains are chock-ful of antioxidants? The popcorn made by Lesser Evil is dangerously good. Made with awesome ingredients and naturally high in fiber, this treat is a great choice for your mid-afternoon slump when you aren’t feeling “sweet”.
6. Kind Bars. Made with antioxidant-rich ingredients like almonds and dried berries, kind bars are a great quick snack that go perfectly in your purse or your scrubs pocket.
7. WatUSee Chickpea Puffs. These puffs are made from chick peas and are absolutely delish! When you are craving a savory crunchy snack that gives you some protein, antioxidants, and fiber, try these little treats out!
8. Crazy Go Nuts Walnut Butter. Walnuts are naturally loaded with antioxidants and are a great addition to a piece of fruit or whole grain bread to add some healthy fats and protein to your snackeroo. You may find some flavored versions out there; just watch the sugar and additives!
There you have it. Eight antioxidant-rich snacks that are easy-breezy and gets you out of the fresh fruit and veggie rut. Grab some of these during your next grocery store trip or online Amazon adventure to stay ahead of your mid-day slump hunger.