Post-Baby wish list
Mamas-to-be are usually totally prepared for baby in the diaper and cute clothes department. But they are not always baby-ready in the nutrition department. No, not food for your baby! I am talking about nutrition for you, mama! If you are planning on breastfeeding, many of these suggestions will ultimately benefit baby, since she essentially eats what you eat (though the breastmilk).
Below are 8 suggestions for items mama should have on-hand to prep for the early days of motherhood.
1. Seven Sundays muesli. Oats are said to be a galactagogue, but sometimes they take a while to cook. These muesli take no time to make and honestly taste amazing. They are already loaded with goodies like flax and chia seeds, and have no added sugar (the sweet comes from fruit). I especially like muesli because it can be eaten cold or hot…hot oatmeal in 100 degrees just doesn’t sound that appetizing to me RN.
2. Drink Simple Maple water. I am not a big water fan, but staying hydrated is super-important post-baby. Maple water has less sugar than coconut water and provides some nutrients like manganese naturally. It has just enough of a sweet taste to keep me drinking. If you have something yummy to drink on-hand, you are more likely to actually drink it! They also make an amazing maple sparkling water.
3. klaire labs probiotic b2. This strain of probiotic found in this supplement has been shown to reduce the risk of developing mastitis AND treat mastitis. Mastitis is no fun, and taking these probiotics has little downside. The only downside I see is the cost. I personally experienced mastitis, so anything natural that may reduce the risk of it sneaking up on other women is good in my book.
4. Gerber soothe drops with Vitamin D. If you are nursing and not taking in 6,400 IU of supplemental Vitamin D, you must supplement your baby with this important vitamin. These drops are for baby and contain Vitamin D and live bacteria (lactobacillus reuteri). This strain of probiotic has been shown to reduce crying time in colicky babies, help reduce symptoms associated with reflux, among others. You can simply put the drops on your nipple right before baby latches.
5. TJ’s everything but the bagel seasoning. I am a broken record talking about choline for pregnant and nursing mamas, and for good reason. Choline is SO IMPORTANT for your baby’s brain development. When you are nursing, your needs are even higher than when you were pregnant. Egg yolks are one of the best sources of choline, and hard-boiled eggs are a simple one-handed snack for mama. This seasoning can be used to spice up a plain boiled egg and make it a touch more exciting. Not a yolk-eater? Check these supplements out.
6. Primally pure Blue Tansy Body oil. My skin was so dry after baby. This oil is absolutely amazing. It absorbs quickly, smells amazing, and is free of any hormone-disrupting chemicals. Use code LAUREN10 for 10% off.
7. Epic salmon jerky bites. You still should be eating fish and seafood 2-3 times a week when you are postpartum. Since you are home with baby, you have all the time in the world to prepare a gourmet fresh salmon dinner over wild rice and veggies picked from your garden, right? JK. These salmon bites are a quick protein snack that delivers healthy fats and nutrients. These count as fish/seafood in my book.
8. Regular girl prebiotic/probiotic to help with stools. This one is not super-glamorous but needs to be mentioned. Going “number two” can be a challenge after baby. You want to stay ahead of it! Many doctors recommend Metamucil, but I prefer this. It is a blend of prebiotics and probiotics to help keep you “regular” and soft. It blends well and literally tastes like nothing. In this case, you want it to taste like nothing! Use code NUTRITIONNOW10 for 10% off.
I hope this helps you feel a little more prepared post-baby. Mama needs to make sure she is being taken care of before she can worry about anybody else, and this list will hopefully help you do just that.
Please note that this page contains affiliate links where I receive a small commission for anything purchased through my links. This helps me maintain the costs associated with this website. Thank you for your support!